Thursday 3 April 2014

Why I can never relate to female leads in rom-coms.

Shes really sweet, quiet, shy, the damsel in distress ready to be picked up by prince charming. Sat waiting for her life to begin, desperately searching for meaning and purpose or maybe she is running away desperate to flee from her life to find true loves kiss and love happily ever or she starts hating the man of her dreams who says some cheesy line to her and she comes running. Even better, the miraculous meeting where she see's her man and then He wins her over.

These are the typical rom-com girls. Moments like this:


(photo: fanpop.com)


(google images)

I just can't relate too them, I'm fiesty or sassy, I have my own mind and my own views  at the same time I'm gentle and soft but I never see a women like me in a rom-com. They are always so shy and quiet, two things I'll never be. I have my flaws, I can be very opinionated at times. I can be moody too.

I'm calling for more women who act like, urm, human; with all the flaws that we have.

I don't look like this:

(photo: google images)

I look like this:



No, this is really me. This is how I actually look. I have messy/crazy curly hair and imperfect skin, small lips and a button nose. I don't look perfect, yet we're subtly being sold this idea that to be the perfect women we must look like those girls in the rom-coms. Perfectly innocent and beautiful in our appearance and mellow in character - if you are this way naturally then great - but I'm not. There is more than one way to look, and some more realistic looking women with a bit of variety would be helpful.

My call, is for real women- who can move their faces still- who look like a normal person to play the rom-coms in future. I am calling for women with character, flaws and weaknesses and great successes to play women in rom-coms (Infact make that movies in general).

Is it too much to ask?!

No comments:

Post a Comment