Saturday 10 January 2015

Celebrity and Royalty.



I think celebrity is some form of modern Royalty- Joel Edgerton. 


I love watching real interviews, not the crappy Hollywood trash where someone says some mediocre rubbish and gets praise for stating the obvious.  Real, honest and good conversations that are utterly thoughtful. Those kinds are the greatest kinds. 

I watched Joel Edgerton (Actor, writer...etc etc) and his brother Nash (stunt man, director...etc etc) on '60 minutes' an Australian TV show. However, as I'm a Brit living in good ol' England I couldn't watch the real thing just a few snippets on YouTube. 

After watching 'Exodus: God's and King's' directed by Ridley Scott, I was stuck by Ramases and Joel's portrayal because it truley challenged me and my perceptions of Kings and being at the top table. Ramases was so arrogant yet at the same time so so so insecure. When I'm challenged like that, reading interviews and watching video's is the way forward because a curiosity bites and questions rage; How did I just feel compassion for a raging lunatic? That was believable why? WOW, I never considered how Moses would've felt and Ramases! endlessly searching, I began looking. 

Wow. 

Joel Edgerton is a bit intelligent. He hates celebrity (ME TOO!!!), He hates the whole fame thing and just wants to act and get on with life. Great, I want you to answer my questions, challenge me and then I can get on with my life. AHH. We see eye to eye! I really respect him for being a talented believable actor but I don't have the same respect for the A-listers actor & celebrity people/things/objects. Celebrity is the modern day royalty- hmm, great idea. 

For a while, I've had a thought; America's celebrity is the British equivalent of Royalty. We already have a system of class, the Queen...then everyone else. They don't. America don't so they make one, think about it. Celebrity is not AS big a phenomenon in England as it is America. I quoted Edgerton because I felt He put it better than me, but what a thought to ponder on. 

Has society ever moved on, or just morphed with the same problem- just now clothed differently? 

We've made Prince Harry into a celebrity, putting his daily musings in the newspapers. We never did that with the Queen or even with Charles- only when it was newsworthy- not now when Harry eats Nando's does it go in the news. This is celebrity. There is a mix, the reaction we give to celebrity would've being that they gave the Queen's coronation. The hysteria, the phenomenon, the obsession, the tea towels back then or now the t-shirts. Its all muddled, muddy and blurred lines. 

Thanks to Joel Edgerton for not talking crap. Appreciate it mate. 




No comments:

Post a Comment