Friday 23 January 2015

6 life lessons 'Exodus: God's and Kings' taught me.

Let me just start by explaining how much I LOVED  director Ridley Scott's Exodus. 
Movie poster
The film is the story and built mostly factually on the Bible's story of Moses. The story follows Moses from Egypt to the desert and all the way back to Pharaoh and then crossing the red sea. 

I learnt so many things from this movie. As I say a lot, there are so many things we can learn about ourselves and others from the movies. As you know by now, when I'm moved by a character or movie I HAVE to find out more...

Lessons: 


  1. Bible characters are so human. As a church kid, I learnt about Moses the great leader of Israel, He was brave and rescued the people and of course they skipped through the red-sea. No ounce of pain, no insecurity, no frustrations. Can you imagine how Moses must have felt watching the place and people he came from suffering? I don't think He found it easy. They might come from the Bible but God's Holy book is full of all kinds of people who were just like you and me- living the human experience. 
  2. Leaders are insecure too! we have a tendency to believe that our leaders are above the laws, like above feeling what me and you feel. The guy who gave Ramases a physical form - Joel Edgerton- said a great point about leaders having deep insecurities. There was a scene where Ramses is crowned as the new Pharaoh and He looks like unsure of himself, like someone is going to notice He is a phony anytime soon. Turns out that what Joel thought too! In another scene Ramases yells "I AM A GOD" like He is trying to convince himself (fun fact: Joel adlibbed that!!) interesting that a man who was worshipped as a God couldn't sleep himself and was a insecure wreck. 
  3. The right things have the right time. I grapple with this idea of the right time for something, but its true. Moses tries to come back to Egypt and fight in his own strength and his own way. Ramases then just ups his game too, and more life is lost. When Moses waits for God to move and then moves when God moves in cohesion the result is different. Things have their time, and sometimes we have trust in the journey, the timing and the process. This taught me so much about my dreams, sometimes I think they're not happening fast enough, then I remember that I'm probably not ready or have all the skills to do the task adequately yet. 
  4. I have a firmer idea of what how the red sea was crossed than I thought.  Okay, so confession time; The Prince of Egypt (dreamworks) animated musical film is one of my favroite films of all time. In the animation, the red sea is crossed by the water going to the sides- as though you're walking through a aquarium. It never states in the Bible what happened so this could've, that also means its possible that the sea just disapeared in the form of tide out- like in the Ridley Scott film. I was so confused as to why in Exodus: Gods and Kings, the people were walking on what looked like a desert floor. 
  5. Its not easy to see someone you love suffer regardless of whether they are right or wrong. One scene I can't get out of my brain, is when Moses and his group meet Ramses and the Egyptian guards and Egyptians and Rameses has his child who is longer alive in his arms. Moses looks broken, thats His nephew. That man would've felt so so sad for his brother, it would've being hard to see someone you love suffer- even if you've warned them that its going to happen if they don't stop what they are doing. 
  6. Knowing you're loved makes you sleep peacefully.  Hats off to the person who noticed Ramses in Exodus said the same line as Commodus in Gladiator? Both men, in both films looked at a sleeping child and said "you sleep so well because you know you are loved. Both characters said it completely differently, but focusing on Rameses He can't sleep- He watches him child sleep (before He is no longer alive). He is worried and concerned. Ramases didn't know He was loved, he felt his Dad loved Moses more than Him. It affects a person knowing their loved. 

Girls, this drawn on brow only looks good on a Pharaoh's eyebrows. Not everyday girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment